Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Truth About People


 
Okay, so I originally intended to write a very ‘academically sounding’ essay but it’ll just get blown away in the wind with all the others, which, let’s face it – will be much better than mine! Let’s leave that stuff for the folk who really know what they’re doing!
What I’m going to write about is something we all know about; the truth. And how all of us have no idea what the fuck we’re doing… which is something I know a hell of a lot about! I’m not sure how this essay’s going to turn out if I’m honest, my drafted version looks pretty melancholic and I’m listening to some pretty upbeat music so… it’ll probably be a cross between light-hearted and sarcastic.

So… ‘what is the truth?’ I hear you ask yourself. Well perhaps the truth doesn’t really have an answer and we should all look at it rhetorically. However, I’m far too opinionated and egotistical to allow my views to escape this little concept. Plato had some great ideas about truth and justice… why can’t I? Hmm... Perhaps we should leave that as a rhetorical question too and spare my feelings!

What I’m going to try and do here is… expose a few secrets about human nature some of us might not have realised or thought about before… And to make everyone feel... a little less alone and comfortable with… well, being uncomfortable!


Truth No.1 – YOU ARE NOT ALONE
Yes, we are all wonderfully different and unique but someone out there, or perhaps many people, have had identical thoughts to you. Whether that’s “What should I have for dinner tonight... Indian or Chinese?” or maybe something a little more complex like… “What if we’re all really just a little microbe living on an even huger being in an even huger universe… in fact, what if the universe is just a small particle that belongs to something bigger?” etc. etc. I can guarantee they’re all shared thoughts. I assume someone else has thought about or even written an essay pretty identical to this one... if so kudos to them for doing it first!

Truth No.2 – GROWING UP IS JUST A CONCEPT
My beloved gran-ma-ma once said to me that despite her age and physical difficulties, she still felt like she was 17 in her head, which I totally understood. I may only be 17 but I certainly know that growing up is just something children want to do and adults try their best to pretend to have done. It’s just an act – we’re all still silly and wonderfully ignorant children on the inside, no matter how old we are!

Truth no.3 – IMPOSTER SYNDROME
There is a syndrome where you believe everything good and successful you do is just a fluke or someone else’s work that’s been unfairly passed on as yours. I know, because I used to have it! I’d write a poem and if it got praise for it I’d suddenly worry that I might have accidently plagiarised it or it was just a one-off thing. I believe we all have an essence of this syndrome in us. And we’re all terrified we’ll be found out at some point and everyone will realise how young and incompetent we really are. But it’s okay my friend, accept the fact you did good and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back!

Truth No.4 – SPONTANIOUS SUICIDAL THOUGHTS
We’ve all done it; had strange, dangerous or purely random thoughts for no reason. We’ve all done something like walked past some train tracks as the train came into the station and wondered what it would be like to be pushed in front of that train. Or stood on a cliff/tall building and had the urge to jump. It doesn’t mean you’re suicidal – you’re just curious.

Truth No.5 – NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK THEY’RE DOING
Yep that’s right – we’re all scared shitless. Scared of being alone, scared of being responsible, of owning houses, paying bills, being embarrassed, being seen as incompetent, being ‘found out’, making certain commitments, and the list goes on! You can be the richest, most powerful person in the world and I’m willing to bet you still feel like you don’t fully know what's going on!

Truth No.6 – WANT SYMPATHY AND/OR COMPASSION
I’m such a victim of self-pity! It’s awful and I thought I was the only one who absorbed myself in this previously-thought-as-somewhat-selfish indulgence but no, that’s not the case! We’re all needy; have been from birth and will be until we die. It’s certainly not a bad thing, it makes us emotionally clever and allows things like love and empathy to thrive!

Truth No.7 – WALKED UP THE STAIRS ON OUR HANDS AND FEET LIKE DOGS
This one doesn’t need any explanation – we have all done it (even if we don’t admit too it)!

I feel that by learning the truth behind things, we learn to be responsible for each other as well as compassionate, empathetic, considerate and kind! I shall end this with a very wonderful quote by JB Priestly:
“We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish. Good night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment