Thursday 4 July 2013

My (lonely) Street


I love the street I live on, it’s very picturesque. There are several trees dotted around which come into bloom in the spring with gorgeous deep pink and red blossom.  When the blossom starts to fall, it litters the ground in a sea of beautifully bright colours which are a wonderful contrast to the dull industrious grey of the pavement and road. For those few days the falling blossom exceeds a slight uplifting feeling within me, falling through my body like snowfall. After all, nature is there to be appreciated.

Though I like my neighbours, I do not like the loneliness I feel being a resident on this street. I usually have my curtains and window open. You can probably look right into my room if your house is in opposition to mine. I like the fact that people can look in. I like going to my window and staring out beyond the houses. I like dancing around to loud and beautiful music knowing that if someone were to look in, I would probably be making an absolute fool of myself. And when my parents are away, I like standing by the open window and smoking slowly whilst playing gentle jazz music and waiting to see someone else staring out of their window.

But no one else does. Not a single soul. Day and night, the top windows of all the houses on my street are shut, with white-lace curtains protecting the houses’ modesty by not allowing peeping toms like myself to see inside. I don’t mean to be nosey, or even curious, I just think there could be a nice, silent companionship with those who also enjoy looking out of their window. It’s a thoughtful act, if I saw someone staring out of their window; I’d forever wonder what they’re thinking about.

When I move (preferably to a city) I should like to live in a flat surrounded by loads of other flats, just as small and monotonous as my own. Then perhaps people will start to look out of their windows-we all love escapism. I want to live by a train track which abides just outside my window. I want the train to come past with shuddering bright lights and a noise that makes me want to go with it. And with the movement of my flat shaking under the rippling speed of this great moving giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment